InnovMetric PolyWorks (PW) is a multifunctional software manufactured by InnovMetricSoftwareInc., Used to process laser scanning data: reverse engineering, product geometry control, architecture tasks, deformation monitoring of the earth’s surface and many others. The PolyWorks software package allows you to efficiently and quickly work with very large amounts of data. InnovMetric PolyWorks consists of several modules and has a wide range of tools that simplify and accelerate the work with data. It is important to note that the complex allows you to work with data obtained from three-dimensional scanners of all known brands.
• This module is designed for primary data processing.
• Initially, data is imported using a terrestrial 3D scanner or data that has already been processed in other programs. Already at this stage, there are some processing possibilities: the data is imported with the specified accuracy (the step of sampling points is specified); data can be filtered by distance.
• Primary processing of point clouds: scaling of point clouds; filtering on the subject of coincident points, that is, ordering (points that diverge to distances less than the specified ones are deleted). In the module, you link to the external coordinate system and link the scans.
• The program allows you to select the stitching method, which can be divided into: visual stitching methods; on reference objects. And that is not unimportant: the program produces statistics and histograms of association errors, primary polygonal models are created.
• Data can be exported in many formats (AC, BRE, PIF, PTX, SURF) and as polygonal models in DXF, IGES.
• Designed to create a triangulation model, the module allows you to manually determine the parameters responsible for the quality and accuracy of the model being created.
• The module is designed to work with TIN-surfaces created in PW or imported from other programs.
• The module contains functions for smoothing, filling “holes”, retryangulation (individual areas can be triangulated again with less accuracy), various mechanisms for creating curves and tools for editing them.
• This module implements the functions of creating and editing NURBS surfaces – surfaces that are created by curves, and the module provides many ways to create these curves: manually – certain curves are drawn at the specified points, the curves are constructed by intersections with the plane model, by sections , a grid of curves is automatically compiled from the model with a given accuracy (the step and the maximum distance to which they are separated from the model).
Includes tools that allow:
• to enter the points of geometric primitives into the cloud (circle, cone, cylinder, plane, point, polyline, sphere and vector);
• construction of polygonal surfaces;
• combining data and reference objects into a single and unique coordinate system;
• profiling, creating arbitrary and specified sections;
• make detailed comparisons, statistics and reports within or between data, reference objects, and primitives;
• All types of measurements, control of position and condition of complex structures (measurement of geometric dimensions, both linear and angular, areas, volumes);
• export data and reference objects to many formats.
• Reduction, mainly, of colored polygonal 3D models. An auxiliary module that allows you to reduce the weight of the model by reducing the number of its constituent elements (triangles or patches).
• The module allows you to combine the model and its texture map, that is, get a model with textures that displays not only the geometric, but also the physical properties of the model. The texture map should be obtained from the scanner, that is, in the obtained data from the scanner, in addition to coordinates, there should be information about the intensity. Combining two types of data, as a result, the model has the form closest to reality.
• Module for viewing data.
• Models created in the program are saved in the internal format and can be viewed in the free module provided. The software product InnovMetric PolyWorks is intended for a certain range of tasks, the solution of which in other software products is not possible.
• This range of tasks covers many aspects. For example: Monitoring of deformations of the earth’s surface, landslide processes and subsidence of soil under the influence of technogenic factors. By superimposing models created at different times, one can obtain the magnitude and direction of the displacements. And to characterize the data for these offsets will not be individual control points.
• Since continuous scanning is performed during scanning, the necessary information can be obtained practically at any point on the surface. The data obtained are presented in the form of a colored three-dimensional model with color distribution depending on the magnitude of deformations.
• With a simple click
- Datum labels can now be assigned to patterns of planes. The nominal primitives of plane datum features must have the same normal.
- When opening a piece that requires propagation with a linked template from an older version of PolyWorks, the template is now automatically updated and saved before the piece is opened and the changes are propagated, instead of displaying an error message.
- The following improvements have been made relating to change propagation:
- Notifications related to the propagation status of pieces and templates now display the icon, status description and possible actions related to the current status of the piece, as shown below. The same information is also displayed when hovering the mouse pointer over the propagation split button in the status bar. Note that possible actions are no longer displayed in the propagation split button menu
- A new status is now available when the piece template has been changed while a piece linked with it is open. If no changes have been made to the opened piece, the following possible actions are offered: Propagate piece template to piece and Unlink from piece template. If changes have already been made to the piece, the following possible actions are offered: Propagate changes to piece template, Revert to piece template, and Unlink from piece template. Note that the new Revert to piece template action is also available in the Piece Propagation message displayed when closing a piece.
- Propagating changes to the piece template and all linked pieces is now only possible through the Tools > Piece > Propagate to Piece Template and Linked Pieces menu item or the Piece Propagation message displayed when closing a piece.
- In the Object Control SPC Results pane, the Estimated Standard Deviation (Est Std Dev) value is now used to calculate the value of the 3 Sigma, 5.15 Sigma, and 6 Sigma statistics, instead of the Standard Deviation (Std Dev) value. The Est Std Dev and Std Dev columns have also switched position in the table. Note that the corresponding report template has also been modified to reflect these changes.
- Warning icons for uncalibrated tool orientations are no longer displayed in an offline simulation mode.
- The performance of collision detection and avoidance was improved, leading to an increase in speed of 20% on average. The increase is up to 10 times faster for projects containing hundreds of Reference objects.
- Performance enhancements when running a measurement sequence have been made.
- The Use Nominal Primitive measurement method was not propagated to other pieces.
- Linking a piece to a piece template could fail when the piece contained coordinate systems built from dependent features.
- An issue when loading a PolyWorks 2020 user configuration in PolyWorks 2021 has been fixed.
- Precision issues when picking polylines on small CAD models have been fixed.
- An issue when using a slab feature as a tertiary datum feature has been fixed.
- Measuring the diameter on a dependent circle with the GN or GX modifier did not produce a measured value. A measured value will now be computed while giving a warning message.
- Issues when creating the measured envelope of Line Profile controls on polylines have been fixed.
- An issue with the color scale of a Line Profile control in the Feature Navigator has been fixed.
- Grouped custom measurements could not be imported from another Inspector project.
- The values of property field entries were lost when clicking out of the field or in another field.
- Assigned Q-DAS K-fields could not be reassigned.
- A scaling issue when importing features from a CAD file and working in inches has been fixed.
- Issues with the STEP CAD model importer have been fixed.
In some edge cases, exported plane primitives could not be loaded in CAD software.
Portable metrology plug-ins
- Several improvements have been made for the Hexagon AS1 Absolute Scanner/Laser Tracker, Hexagon/Romer Absolute Arm and Leica Absolute Scanner plug-ins:
- In the Scan dialog box, a new Scanning profile list box has been added, which allows users to select the scanning profile in the RDS software section.
- RDS API 6.0 has been integrated.
- The most recent version of RDS must be installed as well as the compatible device firmware.
- For the Hexagon AS1 Absolute Scanner/Laser Tracker plug-in, new macro commands allow obtaining information on the current tool type, serial number, number of the active face, point type, and serial number of the tip using the following command:
- DIGITIZE DEVICE HEXAGON AS_TRACKER DETECTED_TOOL
- LMF 1.8 has been integrated into the Leica AT960/AT930 and ATS Laser Tracker plug-ins.
- The API Radian Plus/Core (Omnitrac 2) Laser Tracker plug-in now supports the iScan3D accessory, similarly to the API Radian Pro (Radian) Laser Tracker plug-in.
- When using the Hexagon/Romer Absolute Arm plug-in, the logic of the arm buttons was inverted.
An issue with the Leica AT400 Laser Tracker plug-in when creating a reflector or switching to a reflector after having been connected to a B-Probe has been fixed.
- The following Renishaw probe head models are now supported for the CNC CMM plug-in:
- Improvements have been made to be able to easily identify star styli tips in the 3D scene when using the CNC CMM plug-in or the I++ CMM plug-in (Renishaw UCCserver version 4.6 or later). Several options have been added to control and customize the display of these new star stylus labels.
. Star stylus tip numbers can now be displayed in the 3D scene using star stylus labels. The current star stylus tip is identified with a bold label contour, as shown for tip #2 in the example provided.
. The display status of star stylus labels can be changed by selecting or deselecting the Star stylus label CMM option:
.. using the 3D Scene Display Options menu button of the 3D Scene toolbar, as shown in the example;
.. on the Display > Probing and Scanning page of the PolyWorks|Inspector Options.
. The Star stylus section has been added to the Display > Probing and Scanning > Probing page of the PolyWorks|Inspector Options. These new options can be used to specify label font size and background color.
Note the following:
.. When using the CNC CMM plug-in, star stylus labels can be displayed both when connected to a device as well as when the Offline Simulation mode is activated.
.. When using the I++ CMM plug-in, star stylus labels can be displayed when connected to the Renishaw UCCserver version 4.6 or later.
- Improvements have been made to easily adjust CNC speed parameters in a measurement sequence to the current device after switching from the Zeiss CMM-OS plug-in to the CNC CMM plug-in:
. Measurement sequence execution is automatically paused if CNC speed parameter settings are problematic for the current device. Problematic CNC Parameters measurement sequence steps are identified with an error icon and cannot be executed.
. Possible actions are offered for problematic CNC Parameters steps to easily fix the issue.
. The Adjust to Current Device functionality has been improved to correctly adjust CNC speed parameters to the current device.
- The following macro command is now offered to allow users to get calibration information in the Macro Script Editor pane. This information, which includes calibration statistics and days since last calibration, for example, could previously only be displayed in the Tools and Tool Orientations pane.
. PROBE DEVICE CNC_CMM CONFIGURATION TOOL ORIENTATION CALIBRATION GET
- When using the Adjust to Current Device functionality with the CMM-OS plug-in, the converted approach speed could cause an error when run on the machine.PolyWorks|DataLoop
- It is now possible to specify the security policy to apply to a workspace when it is first uploaded to PolyWorks|DataLoop, as well as to change the security policy of a workspace.
. When uploading the workspace to PolyWorks|DataLoop for the first time, the Security policy list box is now displayed in the Upload to PolyWorks|DataLoop dialog box. It allows specifying the security policy to apply to the workspace on PolyWorks|DataLoop. The default value of this list box is the default security policy, as configured in the PolyWorks|DataLoop Core Administrator. Note that this list box is not offered when uploading a new version of a workspace that has previously been uploaded.
. To change the security policy of a workspace that has previously been uploaded to PolyWorks|DataLoop, select the workspace in the tree view of the Workspace Manager and use the Edit > PolyWorks|DataLoop > Security Policy menu item, or right-click the workspace in the tree view and use the PolyWorks|DataLoop > Security Policy menu item. It displays the Security Policy dialog box, that offers a list box that allows specifying the security policy to use for the selected workspace.
- The View in PolyWorks|DataLoop Web Interface functionality was not working for piece templates.